Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Do The Coen Brothers Suck?

  1. #1
    HB Forum Owner philipswales's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2000
    Posts
    412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm in a dilemma.

    I can't decide if the Coens or good or bad.


    Granted, they're original, they cross genres with ease and don't pander to anyone but themselves, but at the same time they can be infuriating and inconsistent.

    Good Coen Bros. Films:

    Raising Arizona
    Fargo
    Barton Fink

    Average Coen Bros. Films:

    Blood Simple
    Miller's Crossing
    Hudsucker Proxy
    The Big Lebowski

    Bad Coen Bros. Films:

    The Man Who Wasn't There
    O Brother Where Art Thou?


    You see? I don't think it's a coincidence that their worst films are their two most recent.

    And then we come to their new one, "Intolerable Cruelty", which looks absolutely nothing like a Coen Bros film. Actually, it looks like a Soderbergh film - another infuriating, inconsistent son-of-a-bitch.

    Have the Coens sold out? Have they peaked? Are they trading in their Coen-ness in exchange for a bona fide commercial hit?

    Only time will tell.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Kev Owens's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    701
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    All opinions Philip.

    I like them, and I disagree on your grading of the films. O Brother Where Art thou and Man who wasn't there as the two worst?!?!

    Let me try and sway your opinion towards mine;

    Coens Vs. Paul Anderson
    [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner philipswales's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2000
    Posts
    412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    I saw their most recent two just the last two weeks or so, and yes, from their back catalogue these are definitely the worst.

    And speaking of Paul Anderson (not the one you hate, but the other one)...


    I saw Punch Drunk Love tonight and it SUCKS BALLS.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member asloki's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 19th, 2003
    Posts
    49
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've often thought that the Coens have always been a bit hit and miss. I don't think it's something that's happened in recent years either.

    I don't think they're bowing to Hollywood trends or anything - they just make films that amuse THEMSELVES.

    I remember when I watched The Man Who Wasn't There (which I enjoyed) and then listened to the commentary. Basically the Coens giggled to themselves all the way through, and gave the impression that they just make films for themselves.

    On the subject of Punch Drunk Love - it seemed to me to be a bit of a wasted opportunity. Although Sandler (whom I have very little time for) turned in a half decent performance, and there were some good moments - but not enough!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Kev Owens's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    701
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, Sandler wasn't bad in PDL, then what did he do next....

    Mr. friggin Deeds... what a pile of sh1te... he just can't help himself can he.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Vertino's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 1999
    Posts
    388
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    The Coens are great in my books... they have this ability to take a genre and exploit it without taking the piss out of it!

    I haven't seen The Man Who Wasn't There yet... weird thing is that I've got it on DVD, but haven't got round to watching it yet... hmmmm.

    Not sure of what to make of their latest flick either... Intolerable Cruelty?! looks way too commerical!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •